Does anything scream summer like an ice-cream sandwich? We think not! Think creamy coconut-based ice-cream nestled in-between two soft, chewy, plant-based chocolate chip cookies. This delight is plant-based, vegan, gluten free, oil free, and refined sugar free.
Makes: 3 generous ice-cream sandwiches
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 brown rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tbsp LSA blend
- 4 Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup almond butter, softened
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tub of vegan ice-cream (we have used Coco Tribe chocolate ice-cream and Coco Tribe salted macadamia ice-cream)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with baking paper. Place your oven racks in the middle of the oven.
2. Place the oats in a food processor and blitz for about 15 seconds to break up the oats. Once blitzed, place into a medium sized bowl.
3. Add all the other dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk to combine (almond flour, rice flour, sea salt, bicarb soda, baking powder, LSA blend, coconut sugar)
4. Place the Medjool dates, almond butter, molasses and vanilla in a blender and process until well combined. Then add it into the dry ingredients. Using your hands, incorporate the wet mixture through the dry ingredients (it will look very dry – that is okay)
5. Add the applesauce to the dry ingredients, stir well to combine.
6. Add the chocolate chips, stir to mix in.
7. Roll the dough into big balls and press into thick disks in the size of your ice-cream tub diameter. You should have 6 cookies.
8. Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a deep golden brown.
9. Allow the cookies to cool and firm up. You can place them in the fridge to speed up this process.
10. When ready to serve, slice your ice-cream into thick pucks using a serrated knife to slice straight through the cardboard tub. Peel the cardboard off the ice-cream and place in-between 2 cookies.
11. Serve immediately or wrap in grease-proof paper and keep in the freezer.