Lamingtons are a popular Australian dessert that involves two delicious vanilla sponge layers being sandwiched together with a strawberry jam in the middle, and then being slathered in a chocolate coating and finished with a dusting of desiccated coconut. Sounds heavenly, right?
In the name of Veganuary, we’re excited to share our vegan lamingtons recipe so that everyone can overindulge in these tasty little Aussie treats this summer!
The vanilla sponge component of this recipe is simple yet delicious, and the kids can get involved and help coat the cake pieces with chocolate and coconut (if you dare brave the potential mess!).
You can slice the sponge up into portions of any size, so your home-made vegan lamingtons can make a great little back to school lunchbox treat.
For the cake:
- 1 cup Milklab Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 ½ cups of plain flour, sifted
- ¾ cup of caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bi-carb soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil (or a mild tasting vegetable oil of your choice)
- 1 tbsp Chef’s Choice Vanilla Extract
For the jam filling:
- Natvia Strawberry or Raspberry Fruit Spread
For the chocolate coating:
- 200g vegan dark chocolate
- 100ml almond milk
- 25ml sunflower oil
For the coconut topping:
- 1 cup WholeLife Healthfoods Desiccated Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking pan with baking paper
- Combine the almond milk and the apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes so the milk curdles
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and then mix in the caster sugar, baking powder, bi-carb soda and salt
- Make a well in the centre and whisk in the milk, oil and vanilla until everything is well combined
- Pour the cake mixture into the baking pan and place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes
- Once cooked, allow the cake to cool completely in the fridge for at least two hours
- Slice the cake slab in half, and coat one half with Natvia Fruit Spread (for the jam filling), then sandwich the two slabs together
- Slice the cake into your desired portion sizes
- For the chocolate coating, melt the chocolate, almond milk and sunflower oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water
- Sprinkle the desiccated coconut over a large plate, and pour the melted chocolate into bowl (or use the bowl you used to melt it in, just be careful if it is still hot)
- Use a fork to stab each cake piece while you coat it in the chocolate. It helps to use a spatula to coat the piece evenly and to wipe off the excess chocolate
- Once the piece is coated, sprinkle with coconut while holding over the plate to catch the excess
- Repeat this step until all your cake pieces are coated in chocolate and coconut, and allow to set in the fridge on tray lined with baking paper for at least an hour
- Enjoy your vegan lamingtons!