Happy Easter everyone! Switch up your classic hot cross bun recipe with this gluten free alternative! Not only are these simple to make, they are deliciously fluffy and flavoursome. Easter would definitely not be the same without these!
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- ½ cup WholeLife Healthfoods Coconut Sugar Organic
- 100g butter
- 2/3 cup mixed WholeLife Healthfoods dried fruit
- 2 cups WholeLife Healthfoods Buckwheat Flour
- 1 ½ cups WholeLife Healthfoods Brown Rice Flour
- 1 cup WholeLife Healthfoods Tapioca Flour
- 2 teaspoons WholeLife Healthfoods Xanthan Gum
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 teaspoons Planet Organic Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Herbie’s Nutmeg Ground
- ½ teaspoon Planet Organic Allspice
- ¼ teaspoon Planet Organic Cloves
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Buckwheat flour for dusting
- ½ cup brown rice flour, extra
- 2 tablespoons Lotus Organic Raw Honey, warmed
- Combine the milk, sugar, butter and dried fruit into a medium saucepan on a medium temperature. Stir the mixture occasionally and once it starts to simmer, remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Whilst waiting for the mixture to cool down, combine the buckwheat, rice and tapioca flour, xanthan gum, yeast and spices into a large bowl. Once these have been combined, make a well in the middle and add the cooled mixture and egg.
- Stir the mixtures together until it forms a dough-like consistency. Once you have achieved this consistency, take the dough out of the bowl and knead for around 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Place dough into a bowl and cover with a clean cloth and set aside in a warm area for an hour or when the dough doubles in size.
- Divide the dough into around 20 medium sized balls (as seen in image). Place the dough balls in a round shape creating a circle like formation on a large baking tray with baking paper (we love If You Care’s reusable baking paper!). Cover these with a clean towel and set them aside for another 30 minutes to rise further.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan forced.
- Make a paste by combining extra flour and 5 to 6 tablespoons of cold water. Place this paste into a piping bag or zip lock bag (if using a zip lock bag, snip off a corner).
- Pipe crosses on the buns and once complete, place the buns in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until they reach a slightly brown colour.
- Take the buns out and brush gently with honey and then bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve these warm and enjoy!
We would love to see your attempt at these gluten free hot cross buns this Easter! Tag us @wholelifepharmacyandhealthfood
Don’t forget to check out our other delicious recipes suitable for the whole family here.