Baked oats have been trending across platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels for months now – and it’s no wonder, because who could say no to cake for breakfast? Although it looks like a not-so-healthy sweet treat, baked oats are actually a great breakfast option.
Oats are a highly nutritious whole grain that are naturally gluten free. Often oats aren’t labelled as gluten free due to cross-contamination concerns on processing equipment, so if you’re gluten sensitive or coeliac it’s always best to check labels on your oats to be safe.
You’ll be getting a healthy hit of carbs and fibre with your morning oats, including the gut-loving beta-glucan. The beta-glucans in oats are a great prebiotic which is food for the good bacteria that live in your gut. Your gut will love baked oats as much as you do!
The beta-glucans in oats also attract water and increase the thickness of digested food, which in turn increases the volume of food in your gut and slows digestion. Oats will have you feeling fuller for longer to keep those mid-morning munchies at bay.
We’ve added cacao for its antioxidant properties and chocolatey flavour, chia seeds for an omega-3 boost and manuka honey for a dash of sweetness (add more if you have a sweet tooth!). And finally, the ‘lava’ component comes from 4 squares of Loving Earth Dark Chocolate buried in the batter and baked until it becomes an oozing delight – but of course, you can skip the chocolate if you want to keep it super healthy!
This recipe is a super easy and fast way to whip up an indulgent healthy breakfast. You could also mix it up and add in nuts or protein powders for extra nutrients. We’re huge fans of this recipe in the WholeLife kitchen.
- ½ a ripe banana
- 2/3 cup Oatly oat milk
- 2/3 cup WholeLife Healthfoods Certified Organic Rolled Oats
- 1 tbsp B Brothers Manuka Jellybush Honey 30+ MGO (or use agave for a vegan alternative)
- 1 tbsp WholeLife Healthfoods Certified Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ tbsp WholeLife Healthfoods Organic Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 squares of Loving Earth Dark Chocolate (plus more finely grate on top)
- Preheat your oven to 200°c
- Add banana, milk, oats, Manuka honey, cacao powder, salt, chia seeds and baking powder to blender and blend until a smooth batter has formed
- Spoon the batter into your ramekin
- Place 4 squares of Loving Earth Dark Chocolate into the centre and cover with batter
- Bake in oven at 200°c for 18-20 minutes
- Finely grate some leftover dark chocolate on top and enjoy!
We love seeing your kitchen creations! Make sure to tag us in your posts on Instagram @wholelifepharmacyandhealthfood
Hungry for more? Check out our other recipes here.