Rocky road is absolutely one of those desserts that lets those nostalgic childhood memories come flooding back.
The origins of rocky road are a contentious topic (much like the pavlova debate, which FYI is definitely Aussie and not Kiwi), but many sources cite that the earliest mention of the delicious dessert dates back to the mid 19th century in Australia.
As the tale goes, rocky road was invented as a way for Australian businessmen to sell and transport confectionary back to Europe without it going bad on the long journey. Their solution was to simply mix all their ingredients together. The name rocky supposedly came from the literal rocky road the treat had to take to reach its destination!
Traditionally, Australian rocky road consists of milk chocolate, marshmallows, glacé cherries, desiccated coconut, and peanuts which is of course delicious, but not so accommodating for vegan diets or those with allergies.
Check out our WholeLife spin on an Aussie favourite below using Dandies All Natural Vanilla Marshmallows, which are vegan and gluten free!
- 4 blocks (320g) Loving Earth 85% Dark Chocolate
- ½ cup Coconut Magic Organic Coconut Butter
- 2 tbsp Global Organics Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Dandies All Natural Vanilla Marshmallows, chopped
- 1 cup of digestive biscuit, crumbled
- ⅓ cup vegan white choc chips (or a vegan choc of your choice)
- ¼ cup of chopped nuts (we used brazil nuts, but almonds, pecans or macadamias would work too)
- ¼ cup Absolute Organic Desiccated Coconut
- Line a 20x20cm baking dish with cling wrap
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate, coconut butter and maple syrup together in 30 second bursts until melted, stirring each time to make sure it doesn’t burn
- In a separate large bowl, fold the chopped Dandies marshmallows, digestive biscuits, white choc chips, nuts, and desiccated coconut into the melted chocolate mixture
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish and press down evenly with a spatula
- Set in the fridge for 2-3 hours and use a hot knife to slice up. Enjoy!
TIP: Use our mix-ins as a guide only, the sky is the limit as to what you can put in your rocky road!
- If you prefer a milkier chocolate base, try using half Loving Earth 85% Dark and half Loving Earth Creamy Coconut Mylk chocolate
- For a nut-free rocky road, substitute out nuts for cranberries or sultanas
- For a festive spin, sub out the digestive biscuits for Schar’s Christmas Spekulatius