Have you ever wondered how to incorporate fruit into your diet in more exciting ways? Fruit sushi is a fun twist on original sushi recipes and they’re gluten free and vegan! These sushi rolls are perfect for your next fruit platter or to spice up your child’s lunchbox.
1 ½ cups of Sushi Rice
2 cups of water
3 tablespoons of WholeLife Healthfoods Organic Raw Sugar
¼ teaspoon of WholeLife Healthfoods Himalayan Pink Salt Fine
1 cup of Pure Harvest Organic Coco Quench Coconut Milk
1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
A variety of fruit – pineapple, strawberry, mango, kiwi (you can use whatever fruit you would like)
- Use a strainer to rinse the sushi rice, removing the milky coating.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the rice, water, sugar, and salt. Cook on low heat for around 15-20 minutes with the lid on or until the water is absorbed. Do not stir during this process.
- Once the water has been absorbed add the coconut milk and vanilla extract and stir until combined. Continue to cook the rice with the lid on until the coconut milk has completely evaporated, and no liquid remains in the pot.
- Spread the rice evenly on a lined tray, allowing the rice to cool down. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the rice is cooling down, slice fruit into long pieces approximately 1cm in diameter (easier to roll).
- Layout a bamboo rolling mat and place a square of cling wrap or baking paper over the top of the bamboo rolling mat (we love Bio Tuff’s biodegradable cling wrap!).
- Spread the cooled rice evenly onto the cling wrap and shape it into the size of the rolling mat. Make sure there are no gaps.
- Lay your choice of sliced fruit ⅔ the way up on the spread rice.
- Use the bamboo mat and cling wrap to tightly roll up the rice.
- Slice the roll into 6 pieces. Enjoy!
If you make these fruit sushi rolls, we would love to see how they turned out! Tag us on Instagram @wholelifepharmacyandhealthfood